Introduction to Motor Vehicles on the EU Market
Not only does the automotive industry account for 6.4% of gross domestic product and 2.3 million jobs in the European Union (EU), it also provide EU citizens and economic operators the ability to travel and conduct business across the EU.
EU Motor Vehicle Legislation
Until the publication of the Motor Vehicle Regulation 2018/858/EU on May 30, 2018 and the two year transition period that is currently underway, the Motor Vehicle Directive 2007/46/EC was the reigning legal framework for motor vehicles.
As of September 1, 2020, the Motor Vehicle Regulation 2018/858/EU is fully applicable in the EU as the main legal framework for motor vehicles!
- Any product to made available in the EU Market must comply with the Motor Vehicle Directive,
- All non-EU Based manufacturers must appoint an Authorized Representative to ensure their product compliance at all times,
- Manufacturer is defined as:
a natural or legal person who is responsible for all aspects of the type-approval of a vehicle, system, component or separate technical unit, or the individual vehicle approval, or the authorisation process for parts and equipment, for ensuring conformity of production and for market surveillance matters regarding that vehicle, system, component, separate technical unit, part and equipment produced, irrespective of whether or not that person is directly involved in all stages of the design and construction of that vehicle, system, component or separate technical unit concerned
- Products which fail to comply may be subject to public notification (RAPEX), withdrawal/recall requirements, warehousing fees, fines or total destruction of the products
- Motor Vehicle Directive
- Motor Vehicle Regulation
- Motor Vehicle Legislation (Directive)
- Motor Vehicle Legislation (Regulation)
Stay up-to-date on the latest news related to the motor vehicles in the EU Market. Sign-up for our newsletter!