The Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS) met on 4th of March 2015 in Luxembourg. The goal of the meeting was to prepare and publish new opinions to lead to a revision of the Annexes of the Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009.
Who is the Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS)?
The Scientific Committee takes on the role of scientific advisor to the Commission when preparing policy and proposals relating to consumer safety, public health and the environment. In case of emerging problems which may pose an actual or potential threat to public health, the SCCS shall also draw the Commission’s attention to the matter.
The results of the meeting can be seen below:
- The opinion on Nano Silica was planned to be finalised during the nano Working Group meeting on the 13th of March 2015.
- The opinion on Formaldehyde has been accepted for publication in the Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology scientific journal.
- The SCENIHR Opinion on BPA has been published: http://ec.europa.eu/health/scientific_committees/consultations/public_consultatio ns/scenihr_consultation_18_en.htm
- The final verdict on SYNBIO II is foreseen to be adopted, together with the replies to comments received during the public consultation.
Opinions finalized and identified for adoption at the next plenary meeting 25th of March 2015:
- CETYLPYRIDINIUM CL SUBM II – P97
- DICHLOROMETHANE- SUBMISSION IV
- P95 (SCCS/1543/14)
Opinions that need further discussion at the next Working Group meeting of the 23rd of April 2015 and 27th of May 2015:
- METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE (MI) – (P94) SUBMISSION IV
- ALPHA AND DEOXY-ARBUTINS
- S86 UV FILTER
- O-PHENYLPHENOL – OPP
- CYCLOPENTOSILOXANE (D5)
Opinions for which the SCCS response was finalized and are planned to be adopted at the next plenary meeting of the 25thof March 2015:
- PHMB (SCCS/1535/14)
- HAA299 UV FILTER (SCCS/1533/14)
What is expected in the future?
A final position by the SCCS on the conditions under which the above ingredients may be used in cosmetic products placed on the EU market.
Cosmetics manufacturers and their designated EU Responsible Person shall closely follow discussion within the SCCS Working Group. The cosmetic industry shall take all the necessary action in order to assure the regulatory compliance and the safety of each product on the beauty products market.
If you want to know more about the SCCS opinions please feel free to contact us.