- QMS assessment
- For devices class Is, Im, Ir, IIa, IIb, III : Manufacturer shall have a QMS assessed by a Notified Body. For simple Class I and custom made devices, a manufacturer must have a QMS, but this is not checked by a Notified Body.
- For class Is, Im, Ir at least a yearly surveillance audit by Notified Body limited to sterility, measuring, reusability process
- For class IIa, IIb, III, at least a yearly surveillance audit by Notified Body
- Technical documentation assessment
- For devices IIa,: Manufacturer shall have technical documentation assessed by a Notified Body, including clinical evidence for at least one representative device for each category of devices.
- For devices IIb, Manufacturer shall have technical documentation assessed by a Notified Body, including clinical evidence for at least one representative device per generic device group
- For devices III, Manufacturer shall have the technical documentation of each device assessed by a Notified Body, including clinical evidence.
- Additional procedures :
- For the following class IIb and class III devices :
- Implantable and active devices to administer / remove medicinal substances : notified body shall submit a clinical evaluation assessment report to the Commission expert panel for a scientific opinion (~60 days procedure) before issuing certificate.
- Devices incorporating a medicinal substance : notified body shall consult the medicinal authority EMA/other designated CA (Directive 2001/83/EC) before issuing certificate (~210 days procedure).
- Devices with viable or non-viable tissues or cells of human or animal origin, or derivatives : notified body shall consult the ‘human tissues or cells authority’ (Directive 2004/23/EC) or the medicinal authority EMA/other designated CA (Directive 2001/83/EC) before issuing certificate.
A Notified body shall prepare a clinical evaluation report and shall submit it to the Commission. The Commission will transmit the report to an expert panel which will decide whether to provide a scientific opinion on the clinical evaluation assessment report. (Annex IX 5.1) (Scrutiny process).
- Type-examination conformity assessment for class IIa, IIb, III : examination based on technical documentation vs prototype sample
- Product conformity verification for class IIa, IIb, III : complementary to the ANNEX X procedure, verification based on the prototype sample vs final product
- Production quality assurance or
- Product verification
- The Regulation: MDR 2017/745
- Technical File
- Notified Bodies
- Authorized Representatives
- Custom Made Devices
- Clinical Evaluation & Clinical Investigation
- Systems & Procedure Packs
Not sure about the actions to take to stay compliant under the MDR? Download the 33-steps-guide e-book available now on MDlaw.eu!
Other questions related to MDR? Contact us now!MDR Inquiries