Introduction to Radio Equipment on the EU Market
Whether to facilitate emergence response, encourage your adventuring spirit or supporting improved lifestyle options; radio equipment technologies play a continually broadening role in our everyday lives.
EU Radio Equipment Legislation
Until the publication of the Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU on April 16, 2014 and the subsequent 2 year transition period, the Radio Equipment & Telecommunications Terminal Equipment 1999/5/EC was the reigning legal framework for radio equipment products.
From June 13, 2016, the Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU became fully applicable in the EU as the main legal framework for radio equipment products.
- Any product placed and made available on the EU Market (either through e-commerce or brick-and-mortar) must comply with the Radio Equipment Directive
- Non-EU manufacturers wishing to make their products available to EU citizens must appoint a European Authorized Representative
- Radio Equipment means:
an electrical or electronic product, which intentionally emits and/or receives radio waves for the purpose of radio communication and/or radiodetermination, or an electrical or electronic product which must be completed with an accessory, such as antenna, so as to intentionally emit and/or receive radio waves for the purpose of radio communication and/or radiodetermination
- Manufacturer is defined as:
any natural or legal person who manufactures radio equipment or has radio equipment designed or manufactured, and markets that equipment under his name or trade mark
- Products which fail to comply may be subject to public notification (RAPEX), withdrawal requirements, warehousing fees, fines or total destruction of the products.
- Radio Equipment - The Directive
- Radio Equipment Directive: scope
- Radio Equipment Directive - The Compliance Process
- Radio Equipment - Authorized Representative
- Radio Equipment - Risks of Non-Compliance
- Radio Equipment - Post Market Surveillance
Interested in finding our more about how we can help you become compliant with the Radio Equipment Regulation? Contact us and one of our experts will get in touch with you.Get in touch