Radio Equipment - Risks of Non-Compliance
Evidently, non-compliant products enter the EU Market everyday - whether the brand owner knowingly does so or due to a lack of knowledge imparted from EU importers/distributors.
As there is no "approval" in the EU Market, Competent Authorities focus almost exclusively on conducting systematic surveillance of products which are being made available on the market. This can include pulling products off of shelves, stopping products at customs or even deploying bots online to identify non-EU based e-commerce shops which mention that they ship to the EU Market.
Should you choose to take the risk to ship product to Europe which has not followed the required path to compliance as detailed above, you should also be prepared for the consequences.
The main consequences include, but are not limited to:
- Being publicly reported to the RAPEX
- Warehousing Fees
- Requested Withdrawal
- Mandated Withdrawal
- Product Recall (from end-users and/or the market)
- Complete ban on marketing of the product
- Destruction of the product
- Revocation of the CE Marking
Ultimately, the prescribed actions that are to be taken in the case that a product is found to be non-compliant will vary depending on the EU Competent Authority which identified the breach, the EU Member State, cooperation from the brand owner and the actions taken by the appointed Authorized Representative. Above all else, the professionalism and expertise of the appointed Authorized Representative in dealing with various Competent Authorities and handling such situations play a vital role in the successful recovery of your brand in the EU Market.
- Radio Equipment Directive: an overview
- Radio Equipment - The Directive
- Radio Equipment Directive: scope
- Radio Equipment Directive - The Compliance Process
- Radio Equipment - Authorized Representative
- Radio Equipment - Post Market Surveillance
Interested in finding our more about how we can help you become compliant with the Radio Equipment Regulation? Contact us and one of our experts will get in touch with you.Get in touch