Introduction to Pressure Equipment in the EU Market
The aim of the Pressure Equipment Directive is to ensure free circulation of pressure equipment in the EU Market while ensuring a high level of safety towards the end user. Pressure Equipment Directive applies to vessels, piping, safety accessories and pressure accessories with a pressure higher than 0,5 bar.
EU Pressure Equipment Legislation
Until the publication of the Pressure Equipment Directive 2014/68/EU on May 15th, 2014 and the subsequent 2-year transition period, the Pressure Equipment Directive 97/23/EC was the reigning legal framework for pressure equipment products.
On the 20th of July 2016, the Pressure Equipment Directive 2014/68/EU became fully applicable in the EU as the only legal framework for pressure equipment products.
- Any product made available on the EU market (either via e-commerce or in physical stores) must comply with the essential requirements set out by Directive 2014/68/EU,
- Non-EU manufacturers wishing to place their products on the EU market should appoint a professional Authorized Representative,
- Manufacturer is defined as:
‘manufacturer’ means any natural or legal person who manufactures pressure equipment or an assembly or has such equipment or assembly designed or manufactured, and markets that pressure equipment or assembly under his name or trademark or uses it for his own purposes,
- Pressure equipment manufacturers may choose one the conformity assessment procedures laid down in Article 14 according to the applicable PED category,
- In some cases, Notified Body intervention may be required.
Stay up-to-date on all things related to the Pressure Equipment Directive in the EU Market! Sign up for our newsletter below.