Last call to be compliant with the new Radio Equipment Directive 2014/53/EU
On 16th April 2016 the RED 2014/53/EU (Radio Equipment Directive) of the European Parliament and of the Council on the Harmonization of the laws of the Member States regarding radio equipment entered into force. Manufacturers whose products are compliant with the current legislation (R&TTED) will have until 13th June 2017 to comply with the new requirements.
What is the scope of the RED 2014/53/EU?
The RED 2014/53/EU applies to the equipment which intentionally transmits or receives radio wavesfor communication or radio determination, regardless of its primary function.
The radio equipment operating at frequencies below 3 000 GHz, including radio equipment operating below 9 kHz that is not covered by the R&TTED or by National frequency regulations will now fall into scope of the new RED directive.
What are the main new aspects?
- This Directive only applies to radio products. There is no longer a provision for Telecom Terminal Equipment (TTE).
- Broadcast TV and radio receivers, which are currently excluded from the scope of the R&TTE Directive, will be within the scope of the RED.
- The Notification procedure to Member States is not required anymore.
- The Directive removes the requirement for special marking (CE marking with the alert symbol) on equipment operating on non-harmonized frequency bands (Class 2) Nevertheless this information must still be included in the user documentation.
- Additional information about the frequency band used by the radio equipment must be provided on the apparatus and all the documentation accompanying it.
- Further clarification on market surveillance guidelines.
If you wish to know more about changes brought about by the New RED Directive, please do not hesitate to contact us. Obelis Expert Consultants, having nearly 30 years of experience with EU Legislations, will gladly answer any question you may have and will gladly assist you in safeguarding your products’ compliance.Get in touch